· Candidates with Criminal Cases:Out of the 1145 candidates analysed, 100(9%)candidateshave declared criminal cases against them.
· Candidates with Serious Criminal Cases:77(7%) candidates have declared serious criminal cases against them.
· Candidates with cases related to murder:4 candidates have declared cases related to murder (Indian Penal Code Section-302) against them.
· Candidates with cases related to attempt to murder:11 candidates have declared cases related to attempt to murder (Indian Penal Code Section-307) against them.
· Candidates with cases related to Crimes against Women:5 candidates have declared cases related to crimes against women.
· Party wise Candidates with Criminal Cases:14 (12%) out of 117 candidates from Indian National Congress (INC), 12(11%)out of 112 candidates from Aam Aadmi Party ( AAP), 10(11%)out of 94candidates from Shiromani Akali Dal(SAD) , 7(9%) out of 77 candidates from Apna Punjab Party, 5(9%) out of 54 candidates from Shiromani Akali Dal (A)(Simranjit Singh Mann), 2(9%) out of 23 candidates from Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP), and 19(6%) out of 304 Independent candidates have declared criminal cases against them in their affidavits.
· Party wise Candidates with Serious Criminal Cases:9 (8%) out of 117 candidates from Indian National Congress (INC),9(8%)out of 112 candidates from Aam Aadmi Party ( AAP), 8(9%)out of 94candidates from Shiromani Akali Dal(SAD) , 5(7%) out of 77 candidates from Apna Punjab Party, 5(9%) out of 54 candidates from Shiromani Akali Dal (A), 1(4%) out of 23 candidates from Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP), and 18(6%) out of 304 Independent candidates have declared serious criminal cases including murder, attempt to murder, crime against women, kidnapping etc. against them in their affidavits.
· Red Alert Constituencies*:6 constituencies in the Punjab assembly elections has 3 or more candidates with declared criminal cases.
*Red Alert Constituencies are those which have 3 or more candidates with criminal cases contesting elections
· Share of wealth among candidates : The share of wealth amongst the candidates contesting in assembly elections Punjab is as follows:
Value of assets
No of candidates
Percentage of candidates
Rs 5 cr and above
Rs 2 crores to 5 crores
Rs 50 lakhs to 2 crores
Rs 10 lakhs to 50 lakhs
less than Rs 10 lakhs
Table: Share of wealth amongst contesting candidates
· Crorepati Candidates: Out of the 1145 candidates analysed, 428 (37%) are crorepatis.
· Party wise Crorepati Candidates:87 (93%) out of 94 candidates from SAD, 103 (88%) out of 117 candidates from INC, 20(87%) out of 23 candidates from BJP,71 (63%) out of 112 candidates from AAP,24 (31%) out of 77 candidates from Apna Punjab Party,12 (22%) out of 54 candidates fielded by SAD (A) and 69 (23%) out of 304 Independent candidates have declared assets worth more than Rs. 1 crore.
· Average assets: The average of assets per candidate contesting in the Punjab Assembly Elections 2017 is Rs 3.49 Crores.
· Party wise average assets:Among the major parties, the average assets per candidate for 117INC candidates is Rs 12.38 Crores, 23 BJP candidates have average assets of Rs 6.10 Crores, 112 AAP candidates have average assets worth Rs 6.24 Crores, 94 SAD candidates have average assets worth Rs 9.26 crores, 54 SAD (A)candidates have average assets worth Rs 1.09 crores, and 304 Independent candidates have average assets of Rs. 1.49 Crores.
· High asset candidates*:The top 3 candidates with highest assets contesting in the Punjab 2017 Assembly Elections are given below:
Table: Candidates with highest assets who have not declared ITR details
* Some candidates may be exempted from filing Income Tax Returns
Other Background Details
· Education details of candidates: 688 (60%) candidates have declared their educational qualification to be between 5th pass and 12th pass, while 365(32%) candidates have declared having an educational qualification of graduate or above.
· Age details of candidates:644 (56%) candidates have declared their age to be between 25 and 50 years while 490(43%) candidates have declared their age to be between 51 and 80 years.
Gender details of candidates:81 (7%) women candidates are contesting in the Punjab assembly election, 2017.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas will arrive in Islamabad on Jan 30 for a three-day visit, Foreign Office Spokesperson Nafees Zakaria.This will be Abbas’s third visit to Pakistan. He previously visited Pakistan in 2005 and 2013, the FO said.
The Palestinian president will be accompanied by a 17-member delegation which includes five ministers, Zakaria added.
President Abbas and Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif are also expected to jointly inaugurate the newly-constructed Palestine embassy situated in Islamabad’s Diplomatic Enclave.
The Palestinian president and his delegation will also meet President Mamnoon Hussain during the three-day visit, Zakaria said. Dawn-Media agencies
Miss France was crowed Miss Universe on Monday in a made-for-television spectacle free of last year’s dramatic mix-up but with a dash of political controversy as the finalists spoke out on the refugee crisis and other…
Five people were killed and several people wounded after gunmen opened fire at a mosque in Quebec City late Sunday, media reported.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said,”We condemn this terrorist attack on Muslims in a centre of worship and refuge,” Trudeau said in a statement.
Five people were killed after gunmen opened fire in a Quebec City mosque, the mosque´s president told reporters on Sunday.
A Quebec police spokesman confirmed that there were people killed, but did not say how many.
Two suspects in the shooting were arrested, he said.
Police did not rule out the possibility of a third suspect who had fled the scene.
The motive of the attack was not immediately clear. Police set up a perimeter around the mosque.
A few dozen people were inside the Islamic Cultural Center when the shooting began just after 8:00 pm (0100 GMT Monday), CBC reported, citing its French-language service Radio-Canada.
According to CBC, Quebec City Police Constable Etienne Doyon said at the time of the attack mostly men were gathered at the mosque for evening prayers.
The center´s director said at least five people were killed, but that information had not been confirmed by police, CBC said.
According to witnesses cited by Radio-Canada, two men entered the center and opened fire on the people inside.
Quebec´s prime minister, Philippe Couillard, said in a series of Twitter posts that the government was “mobilized to ensure the security of the people of Quebec.”
“Quebec categorically rejects this barbaric violence,” he wrote. “Solidarity with Quebec people of Muslim faith.”
The Islamic Cultural Center of Quebec, which is also known as the grand mosque of Quebec, had already been the target of hate: a pig´s head was left on the doorstep last June during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
The attack comes as Canada has vowed to open its arms wide to Muslims and refugees after US President Donald Trump´s controversial immigration ban Friday sparked travel chaos and outrage around the world.
Canada will offer temporary residence permits to people stranded in the country as a result of Trump´s order, the immigration ministry said Sunday.
“Let me assure those who may be stranded in Canada that I will use my authority as minister to provide them with temporary residency if needed as we have done in the past,” Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen said at a news conference.
Trump has suspended the arrival of all refugees to the US for at least 120 days and barred entry for 90 days to people from seven Muslim-majority countries: Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.
Hussen, who is of Somali origin, did not condemn the US measure but stressed that Canada would continue to pursue an immigration policy based on “compassion” while at the same time protecting the security of its citizens.
“We welcome those fleeing persecution, terror and war,” he said, echoing a welcoming Twitter post by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Saturday.
According to the latest Canadian census, from 2011, one out of five people in the country are foreign-born.
Canada has welcomed more than 39,670 Syrian refugees between November 2015 and early January 2017, according to government figures.
East Africa Rail in partnership with Rift Valley Railways brings the leading rail operators, authorities and government from across the region as well as the rest of Africa together to source solutions to their challenges.
If you want the chance to speak alongside these operators and the likes of the Rwanda Transport Development Agency, LAPSSET, COMESA, Indian Railways, Japan Railway Group and many more then you need to sponsor East Africa Rail.
Philippines, 15 militants, including a suspected Indonesian militant, linked to the Islamic State group have been killed in airstrikes, the military said today.
Military Chief of Staff General Eduardo Ano said the body of the suspected Indonesian militant, known by his nom de guerre Mohisen, was recovered by troops along with three dead Filipino followers of militant leader Isnilon Hapilon, who was seriously injured in the hilly outskirts of Butig town in Lanao del Sur province.
The military will ask Indonesian authorities for help in confirming the identity and background of Mohisen. Eleven other militants were reportedly killed, Ano said, citing intelligence, but added their bodies have not been Found.
A top US official says, there is a possibility in the future of Pakistan being included in the list of countries from where immigration has been banned in the United States.
White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus told CBS News that the reason United States chose those seven countries is that both the Congress and the Obama administration had identified these countries being most identifiable with dangerous terrorism. He said now, one can point to other countries that have similar problems, like Pakistan and others.
This is for the first time that the Trump Administration has publicly acknowledged about considering putting Pakistan into that list. Currently as per the executive order, visitors from countries like Pakistan and Afghanistan are subject to extreme vetting. Priebus asserted that Americans have to be protected first.
National Vice President,
Akhil Bhartiya Patarkar Manch.
The Editor New Delhi, India News
New Delhi-Agra,India News:
Vice President,Delhi Chapter,
The Newspaper Editor's Society.
CEO:Enkay Sagar Holdings P Ltd:
Former Secretary,Delhi Region
International Theosophical Society.
The Spiritual Motivator:Consultant.