Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Kapur seeks to end seven-year drought at Hero Indian Open;
Lahiri and Muniyappa happy to be playing at home

Bengaluru, India, October 16: Shiv Kapur has had some good results of late in the top-five and he feels that his game is going in the right direction, but what he needs is a win to end a seven-year title drought at the Hero Indian Open, and for home boys, Anirban Lahiri and C Muniyappa, the 2009 Indian open winner, it is a great feeling to be playing the National Open at home.

Calling the Hero Indian Open as the fifth ‘Major’ Kapur, who comes in excellent form after a fifth place finish in Venetian Macau Open, is currently 10th on the Order of Merit.

“As a kid growing up my dream was always to win my national open. Every golfer wants to win their national open as it is a fifth Major for them,” said Kapur, whose sole Asian Tour victory was in 2005 in Thailand.

“I think my consistency is better and I’m getting closer to winning. I’m disappointed I’m not able to win more. That plays on my mind but you realize you have to be patient. I’ll be sticking to what I’ve been doing and keep knocking on the door and hopefully it will open soon,” added Kapur, who has three top-five finishes on the Asian Tour this season.

Kapur laughed and said, “Maybe I am happier playing in Bengaluru, since there is a lot of pressure when we play at the Delhi Golf Club, which is my home course. And yes I have played a lot of golf here in KGA and it is a fantastic course. I suppose my fried Anirban (Lahiri), whose home course it is will be able to tell you even more.”

Lahiri said, “It will be nice to sleep one’s own bed and be here in the morning for the tee off. I have never done that before at an Asian Tour event, so it will be nice.”

“The course is looking great and it is going to see some excellent golf. The idea of having the Indian Open at various venues is really great as it takes the sport further,” added Lahiri, who has two Asian Tour titles.

“I think it is good for the growth of the game. The sport is growing all over India. It is good for the national open to move around. India is a big country and every course has a different challenge. I think it is a great decision,” said the 30-year-old Kapur sitting next to him.

Muniyappa enjoyed a dream victory at the 2009 Hero Indian Open and is making a comeback from a back injury which left him out of the game for the whole of the 2011 Asian Tour season.

It will be an inspiring return for Muniyappa, who lives five minutes from the Karnataka Golf Association course where he started his career as a forecaddie and developed his swing by watching club members.

“My L4 and L5 disc were bulging and it was compressing the side of my back. That’s why the pain went to my legs as well. I’m feeling a little bit better after going through a lot of physiotherapy and exercises,” said the 35-year-old.

“It was disappointing to not play golf for the whole year but luckily I’m able to make a comeback. I’m feeling very excited for this week,” added Muniyappa.
 
However all the three Indians will face a stiff challenge from almost 40 winners including an in-form Gaganjeet Bhullar, who won his fourth Asian Tour title last week, defending champion David Gleeson of Australia and Peter Hanson of Sweden, ranked 25th in the world.

The Hero Indian Open will be played at the Karnataka Golf Association course for the first time in its illustrious history and Kapur lauded the decision to move his national open to a new venue.

For any other information please contact
Abhoy C, 9811325251 & Deependra C, 9811182106

No comments: